Re: Re : Re: about peer selection

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 10 Mar 2003 11:21:31 +0100

The netdb registry keep track of round trip times and distances to
origin servers measured by ICMP pinging. Both the distance from this
Squid server to the origin servers and the distance from the peers to
the origin servers are recorded.

More information can be found in Squid FAQ
7.6 Using ICMP to Measure the Network
<url:http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-7.html#ss7.6>

Note: I don't normally make use of netdb in Squid due to the overhead
and excess traffic involved from using ICMP to probe the network
connectivity.

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@marasystems.com>
MARA Systems AB