Re: Problem with origin server connections

From: Brian Akins <bakins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:48:47 -0500

On 11 Mar 2003 18:21:02 +0100
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:

> The above continues until all server instances on the backend is busy
> processing requests and the TCP backlog has been filled, causing
> further connection requests to the server to be rejected.
>
> If you are using some health monitoring then this monitoring should
> detect the situation and mark the backend server as offline.

The problem is we have multiple NFS mounts on our origin and have
instances were only one fails, therefore, only a subset of objects are
affected. The origin, for a while, continues to serve normally for all
other objects. Eventually, the origin backs up and the checker notices
and, in our hacked version, puts squid into offline mode. This is
usually temporary (less than a minute) and then the origin is able to
server, so squid goes back into normal operation. This cycle repeats.
The affected objects, even after the origin servers them correctly, are
never served from cache until a reconfgiguration or restart.

--Brian