Re: HEAD make dist fails

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 13 Mar 2003 00:27:46 +1100

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 19:08, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> For me it is OK to bump the automake requirement for HEAD up to
> automake-1.6.3 which is the latest version found in most of the
> current Linux distributions.

Ok.

> Very few is shipping automake-1.7.X and I am a bit reluctant about
> requiring 1.7 until it is more commonly spread.

Sure.

> However, it should be noted that the most commonly accepted "automake
> level" among all the different distributions (Linux, *BSD, Cygin etc)
> is still 1.5, with a few still using 1.4..

Well, cygwin is 1.7.2. 1.7 is backward compatible with 1.5.

> If upgrading automake, make sure to keep automake-1.5 for Squid-2.5.
> This then needs to be reinstalled as /usr/local/bin/automake15.

I can't upgrade automake - I don't have access AFAIK.
Squid-2.5 builds just fine with a newer automake, there is (IMO) no need
to keep 1.5 around.

> But why is it that we keep running into automake bugs all the time?
> The use of automake is supposed to cause less grief, not more..

Because 1.5 was the first release after a long period of problems, like
the transition to autoconf 2.50 and above. The automake maintainers are
doing a much better job, and the capabilities continue to improve.
Partly it's also due to using 'too recent' features of automake -
although please note that the bugs we have hit are actually bugs (that
is, automake 1.5 is meant to DoTheRightThing, but Doesn't).

Rob

--
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.