Re: Problem with origin server connections

From: David Nicklay <dnicklay@dont-contact.us>
Date: 12 Mar 2003 10:38:47 -0500

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 21:59, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2003, David Nicklay wrote:
>
> > Brian and I have been trying to puzzle out a problem we are having
> > related to back end origin server connections initiated by squid. We
> > have squid (2.5.stable1) set up in a reverse proxy configuration
> > pointing at a group of origin servers which mount a number of NFS mounts
> > to serve content from. What we are seeing is that when one of those NFS
> > mount points locks up on the origin server, it will cause a seemingly
> > permanent change to the number of connections and back end refreshes
> > that the squid servers are sending to the origins. Restarting the squid
> > listeners fixes it, but if we do not restart them, the number of
> > connections and refreshes never returns to its normal state. This is
> > true even if the NFS mount point comes back and the origin servers are
> > restarted.
> >

> Whats your squid config look like? Do you have any of the origin servers
> set as cache peers?

We do not have them set as cache peers. Here is a snippet of our config
(IPs changed to protect the innocent):

# The refresh pattern was extended to a week to try and help:
refresh_pattern . 15 200% 10080 ignore-reload
# A number of these timeouts were shorted to try and help:
pconn_timeout 60 seconds
negative_ttl 30 seconds
connect_timeout 10 seconds
read_timeout 60 seconds
request_timeout 30 seconds
persistent_request_timeout 30 seconds
client_lifetime 240 minutes
shutdown_lifetime 5 seconds

httpd_accel_single_host off
httpd_accel_with_proxy off
httpd_accel_uses_host_header off
httpd_accel_host i.cnn.net
# The following line looks wrong, but works thanks to Brian:
httpd_accel_fills 192.168.1.5 192.168.1.6 192.168.1.7 192.168.1.8
httpd_accel_port 80

# Brian's addition. This does health checking:
checker_program /opt/squid/bin/checker
checker_request HEAD /cnn/pixel.gif HTTP/1.0

minimum_retry_timeout 5 seconds
maximum_single_addr_tries 3

--
David Nicklay