Re: regarging squid code

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 17 Mar 2003 10:43:29 +0100

mån 2003-03-17 klockan 14.21 skrev atit_ldce:
> if i mention different value for udp_incoming_address and udp_outgoing_address then
> 2 different socket are open for ICP messages,
> one for incoming ICP messages and other for outgoing ICP messages.
> why ?
> is there any special purpose behind this?

Yes.

When you want to accept ICP queries from clients on a private network,
but send ICP queries to parents upstream.

> what is purpose of clientdbCutoffDenied() function
> ---it is called when ICP_QUERY from not allowd peer is received.

This makes Squid stop responding to ICP queries from wrongly configured
peers.

> based on return value from clientdbCutoffDenied, decision for sending ICP_DENIED message to sent or not is made...
> i want to understand in which case we sent ICP_DENIED and in which not..

Then the peer is not cut off by clientdbCutoffDenied.

> what following fragment of code do in icpHandleIcpV2 function
>
> if (Config.onoff.test_reachability && rtt == 0) {
> if ((rtt = netdbHostRtt(icp_request->host)) == 0)
> netdbPingSite(icp_request->host);
> }

This is part of the ICMP pinging and netdb support.

> icpConnectionShutdown only closes the 'in' socket if it is different than
> the 'out' socket. is there any specific reason for doing this?

Yes. If they are the same then there is only one socket.

> Is there any depedency between various PEER Selection procedures?
> means
> -- is Method A is enabled, B should/must not be enabled
> or B should be present..

Not really.

> according to my study, squid uses
> ICP,
> HTCP,
> CARP,
> Cache Digest,
> for Inter cache communication.... is there any remaining?

netdb, carp and "none" is missing from the list.

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden