Re: tcp_outgoing_address

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 24 Mar 2003 19:57:26 +0100

Design consideration:

Being able to select different source addresses for different types of
requests or users.

The documentation for tcp_outgoing_address is in squid.conf.default
(make sure to read that of squid-2.5 or later, there is no point in
looking in Squid-2.4 or earlier).

It is really not much to say or document about this directive. It is a
very small feature with a very specific purpose.

Note: This directive has no direct control of routing, only which IP
address Squid is to use. Routing is controlled by the underlying
operating system and network equipment and is no business of Squid.

The documentation of tcp_outgoing_address assumes the administrator
knows how to route traffic in the ways he want it routed. It does not
even attempt to touch the routing aspect as how routing is done depends
heavily on the underlying operating system and network equipment where
routing is performed.

If you are using Linux then the Linux Advanced Routing HOWTO is
mandatory reading for anyone considering multiple Internet links to the
same server.

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden