Re: ICAP for Squid-2.5 development

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 04 Apr 2003 14:46:56 +0200

fre 2003-04-04 klockan 14.11 skrev Geetha Manjunath:
> Hello Henrik,
> Thanks a lot for reviewing the icap patch. I am honoured!

To be honest with you I have a need for the Squid-2.5 ICAP client which
prompted me to do the review.

> Please go ahead with any kind of change you may want to make. But,
> please let me know how I(we) can keep track of the changes on a regular
> basis.

Will try to.

Note: CVS gives very good change logs for tracking purposes.

> this is perfectly fine with us.. Do you want me to do that ? or would
> you prefer to checkin your modifications directly?

Does not matter who does set up the branch, as long as each step is
clearly identifiable.

For tracking purposes the process should be

1. Branch created from s2_5 (the current Squid-2.5 sources)

2. Your 1.2.1 patch applied and adjusted to the current Squid sources.
There is a minor conflict in clientReadRequest, but it is trivial to
resolve. This patch level of the branch should also be tagged
accordingly to act as a reference point (see cvsmkpatch)

- My cleanups added.

- Any other changes I make, one at a time..

- Any changes you or Ralf make

- Hopefully others become involved

- repeat until satisfied

If you do not think you will have time to do steps 1 & 2 within the next
few days I am happy to do so for you. Just let me know.

> So far, Ralf Horstmann and myself are the only ones who have made any
> significant changes to the squid-icap code. Ralf is copied on this mail
> - so there may not be any issues regarding future maintenance of the
> code.

Good.

I have given Ralf CVS access to the Squid development. Please give him a
quick introduction to the Squid development tools at
devel.squid-cache.org, or contact me if help is needed.

> Sorry, I have not spent time on the bug fix yet... Please feel free to
> fix it yourself. You are definitely more than qualified to do it! Kindly
> let me know once you are done - probably if you send over the patch, we
> can test it out under our set up. Hope that is OK.

Ok.

I'll let you know when the review has completed, with a description of
any changes made to the ICAP client.

Note: Changes is also automatically logged via the squid-cvs mailinglist
at SourceForge if you want to be immediately notified on changes. The
subject line contains the branch name which allows for easy filters to
identify a single branch.

I also hope to have automatic CVS changelogs published next to the
development patches at some day, ultimately both as plain text and as
HTML crossreferenced into viewcs..

Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden