Re: linux transparent proxy status?

From: Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:36:50 -0400

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 05:16:46PM +0100, Gianni Tedesco wrote:

> > - It is possible to automatically determine tcp_outgoing_address by
> > doing an rtnetlink routing table lookup for the target IP address,
> > and then using the 'src' RT attribute from the returned route.
>
> Sounds like a possiblility. You would still need to inform the user that
> they would need an IP on the server facing interface. (I use bridging in
> my setup with nothing but an external facing management IP). You could
> probably just take the IP of the first interface that has one, I think
> the interface doesn't even matter provided it isn't loopback...

OK, I get what you mean now.

Yeah, probably it doesn't matter all that much which address is picked,
since it is NATted away anyway.

I was thinking that you'd need to have the same source address as the
kernel would pick when doing the connect(), but since the socket has
to be locally bound first before unleashing tproxy calls on it, this
is not an issue indeed.

cheers,
Lennert