Re: Performance issue

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 21:21:37 +0200

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 16.55, Chengdu Huang wrote:

> I use httperf to request a single nocachable file. Squid can only
> sustain less than 200 req/s. (The file size is 4k and I'm using a
> slow Linux box. Squid is configured with default settings).

Hmm.. how slow box is this?

> But Apache runs on the same machine can sustain about 600 req/s
> if the requests are sent directly to Apache.

Apache will nearly always outperform Squid as long as the number of
concurrent requests is low.

When the level of concurrency increases Squid generally wins due to
the event driven model.

As you note comparing Squid proxying requests to an Apache serving
static content is not precisely a fair contest. The overhead of
proxying a request is more than twice that of serving a static file.
Only initiating a request is much heavier than accepting one due to
the TCP overhead.