Re: regarding ICP communication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 12 May 2003 11:57:03 +0200

mån 2003-05-12 klockan 16.50 skrev atit_ldce:
> Hello squid dev
> i am using squid 2.5 stable1
> i have following questions to ask
> 1)
> i want to know how to enable ICP_SECHO and ICP_DECHO options
> is there any tag avilable for this.

These are not part of the ICP protocol, but used in UDP ECHO queries.

  DECHO is used in UDP ECHO queries to peers. Automatically used if you
configure a peer with icp port 7 (UDP ECHO)

  SECHO is used in UDP ECHO queries to origin servers. This is always
disabled and cannot be enabled without manually editing the source
(ALLOW_SOURCE_PING define).

> 2)
> i also wants to know behaviour of squid when cache is rebiulding and it receives ICP_QUERY from neighbor cache..
> how squid will handle this case?

Depends on your command line options.

> 3)
> how handleICPv2 handles ICP_SRC_RTT flag .....
> what logic is used in this case?

It updates the netdb database for the destination via this peer, and
keeps track of which peer reported the lowest rtt.

Exact details is not known to me without reading the code, and does not
interests me. I have never used the netdb part of Squid, and probably
never will have a need for it.

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before