Re: Squid Memory Leak

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:39:19 +0200

On Monday 09 June 2003 10.37, atit_ldce wrote:

> I am running squid on redhat linux kernel 2.4+
> I am attaching log file telling memory utilization by squid as well
> as squid memory leak information.[ this is generated by enabling
> XMALLOC_xxx option in squid makefile
>
> But i am not able to interpret this log file.
> it is telling memory leak. but what should i do to identify the
> locations where leaks are present.

The XMALLOC_xxx tools in Squid is just simple malloc tracing tools.
These are very limited and not really useful for practical use. For
real malloc debugging a malloc debugger is recommended. I commonly
use the tools memprof and valgrind when debugging memory allocation
related issues. memprof when looking for leaks, valgrind to debug
allocation errors. there is several other tools but these are the
free malloc debugging tools I find most useful.