Re: of possible interest to ICAP developers

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:27:31 +0200

On Friday 20 June 2003 01.00, Robert Collins wrote:
> Duane Wessels wrote:
> > http://shweby.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > I find their logo interesting, especially since the badmouth
> > Squid in http://shweby.sourceforge.net/doc.php
>
> Yeah, that kindof sucks. Particularly as they seem blissfully
> unaware of Dan Kegel's 10K page - and the scaling implications of
> thread-per-request IO model..

Lets hope we beat them to a well functioning ICAP client
implementation ;-)

But seriously, in many aspects they are correct. Squid is not the most
friendly environment to implement a ICAP client within, and the
Squid-2.5 ICAP client does still have some serious issues and
shortcomings. The interactions with the main Squid body is a little
different, and to have it do what is actually intended will probably
make it even more different..

Also note that the landscape is changing with recent improvements in
schedulers. I would not at all be supriced if today
thread-per-request easily outperforms Squid, and such software design
is a whole lot simpler to maintain. But on the other hand Squid does
not exacly use the powers of non-blocking I/O in an efficient manner
and hopefully all the refactoring we are doing will allow us to
improve I/O performance significantly in some time.

The choice of logo is a bit questionable however.. to that I agree.