Prevent bitrot on configure-switched options.

From: Robert Collins <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:42:06 +1000

I was reading the gnu coding standards the other day. One suggestion
therein that I quite liked is to (where system headers permit) change:

  // some code here

  if (OPTION) {
      // some code here

Their rational is that:
* The compiler then checks all code paths for parsability, scoping
issues, variable renames ettc.
* The resulting code should be identical with any reasonable optimising
* It makes software with many options easier to maintain.