Re: of possible interest to ICAP developers

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile.starynkevitch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:45:09 +0200

>> On Friday 20 June 2003 01.00, Robert Collins wrote: > Duane
>> Wessels wrote: > > http://shweby.sourceforge.net/

>> badmouth > > Squid in http://shweby.sourceforge.net/doc.php

I agree that the silent borrowing of the Squid logo is poor taste. But
Shweby developers are a couple of students, working loosely under my
[distant] advice; They definitely do not aim at replacing Squid in
general. Their target is ICAP client for Poesia, which means at most a
few dozen HTTP clients at once. This is compatible with a naive 1
thread per request model. Of course, it does not scale to thousands of
HTTP clients, but they do know that!

>> > Yeah, that kindof sucks. Particularly as they seem blissfully
>> > unaware of Dan Kegel's 10K page - and the scaling
>> implications of > thread-per-request IO model..
>>
>> Lets hope we beat them to a well functioning ICAP client
>> implementation ;-)

Yes, my interest in Shweby (given that unfortunately I don't have any
more time to give to SquidIcap) is just to have an ICAP client & HTTP
proxy acapable of a few dozen simultanous HTTP clients. Of course this
is a different niche (and target) than Squid, which is expected to
serve hundreds (and perhaps thousands?) of HTTP clients
simultanously.

Given that SquidIcap seems to be nearly dormant (and that is partly my
fault, since I don't have any more resource or interest to actively
participate in it) I think that it is not a bad idea to have several
"competing" ICAP client & HTTP proxy opensource
implementations. Likewise, there are also several HTTP opensource
client implementations (besides the famous Apache) -like boa and wn
for example- and I tend to believe that it is a good thing.

I do agree that Shweby should explicitly target the specific niche of
a small number (a few dozens) of HTTP clients, and not the larger (and
more ambitious) target of many clients like Squid is. After all, if
Squid is more than ten times bigger or more complex (in term of source
code size in KLOC) that middleman or Shweby (which is a fork of
middleman) it is not without good reason.

Again, I do think that having several "competing" opensource ICAP
implementations is a good thing, but this can be discussed too.

(Yes, I do know about Dan Kegel's 10K page)

Regards.

N.B. Any opinions expressed here are only mine, and not of my organization.
N.B. Les opinions exprimees ici me sont personnelles et n engagent pas le CEA.

Basile STARYNKEVITCH ---- Commissariat à l Energie Atomique * France
DRT/LIST/DTSI/SLA * CEA/Saclay b.528 (p111f) * 91191 GIF/YVETTE CEDEX
phone:+33 1,6908.6055; fax: 1,6908.8395 home: 1,4665.4553; mobile: 6,8501.2359
work email: Basile point Starynkevitch at cea point fr
home email: Basile at Starynkevitch point net