Re: automake problems

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 31 Jul 2003 08:01:31 +1000

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 19:39, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Alan Barrett wrote:
> > Is it squid's fault or FreeBSD's fault that bootstrap.sh ends up looking for
> > "autoconf" and "autoheader" when they do not exist? It seems to me that
> > squid's bootstrap.sh should have detected that "autoconf257" and
> > "automake257" were the correct names, but I am not sure how it's
> > all supposed to work.

At the top of bootstrap.sh:
amversions="${amver:-1.7 1.6 1.5}"

means look for : automake1.7 automake1.6 automake1.5
All the distros I've seen so far use that naming approach: i.e.
autoconf2.57, not autoconf257.

So, in this case, it's FreeBSD's fault.

I'm not sure what:
> Setting AUTOCONF=autoconf${acver} in the environment fixed my problem.
> See the attached patch to bootstrap.sh.

Does, but I'd wager that what you are doing is invoking a backwards
compatibility mode for automake, as around ac2.53 / automake 1.7 they
synchronised and exchanged a bunch of functionality.., making previous
random combinations break, but allowing future ones to vary more
freeely..

Cheers,
Rob