Re: automake problems

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:09:28 +0200

On Thursday 31 July 2003 09.51, Alan Barrett wrote:

> for variant in "" "-${version}" "`echo $version | sed -e
> 's/\.//g'`"; do

Yep. The sed is to find FreeBSD naming (autoconf257)

> I have seen all four styles foo-V.VV, fooV.VV, foo-VVV and fooVVV
> in various places.

bootstrap.sh support foo, foo-V.VV and fooVVV. Other namings can be
added if needed, but so far these are the names that have been
needed.

> I found this line in the automake perl script:
>
> my $traces = ($ENV{AUTOCONF} || 'autoconf') . " ";
>
> which uses the environment variable if it's defined. I don't know
> what $traces is used for, but setting the environment variable
> worked for me.

Looks good to me. It is a pity the tools needs to depend on each other
other than via the generated files. Such dependencies should be
reported as broken to the automake maintainers AND to the port and
maybe they will learn to do the correct thing sometime..