Re: http/1.1, Transfer-encoding, offer to help

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:47:49 +1000

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 14:43, Eliphas Levy Theodoro wrote:

> Some time ago the since biggest paid ISP have announced a magical way to
> speed their dialup users, "about 4x!", and this got me to begin thinking
> about.
>
> My thought is that they are using this type of transparent compression,
> or with squid, or with apache + mod_{gzip,cache,proxy}.
>
> That's the task that brought me here. I've browsed squid-* lists about
> the encoding compression and saw that the better I can hope for, *if* it
> may get in, was for squid 3.1.

Exactly. It's a project I hope to get time for, but if it were to be
sponsored I get to make time, rather than hope for time :}.

> I would like to get in touch with the developers, see what can be done
> about it, and of course, help on my coding possibilities. Of course, we
> can talk about the sponsoring too if someone more is interested on join
> ':)

I'm very happy to point you at at the appropriate specifications, squid
routines, gotchas, and tricks n traps.

To get TE working we need to (minimal, offhand list - there may be
more):
-forward port the TE client from the te branch on devel.squid-cache.org
(or reimplement).
-forward port the TE server from the te branch on devel. (Or
reimplement).
-Implement TE post's from client to squid, and from squid to HTTP/1.1
servers.
-Implement the '100-continue' method from HTTP/1.1 - a requirement for
HTTP/1.1, and one that not implementing -will- cause problems.
-Add logic to detect 1.0/1.1 clients, and not downgrade 1.1 clients -
but only expose 1.1 features to 1.0 clients.

then we need to test:
Range requests on misses from 1.0 clients to 1.1 servers (chunked
Range requests on misses from 1.1 clients to 1.0 servers
Range requests on misses from 1.1 clients to 1.1 servers (chunked
Range requests on hits from 1.0 and 1.1 clients.
these four are where previous implementations have 'done the wrong
thing'.

Some of those changes are easy: simple tweaks to the client and server
side logic in 3.x. Some of the changes are harder: areas like POST/PUT
haven't been prepared for the transformations needed - but they should
be relatively easy, if a little time consuming.

Cheers,
Rob