Re: squid-2.5 and coss

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:12:32 +0200

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 10.41, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Well, it'd be _wonderful_ to have the storage interface reworked a
> little so instead of working with fixed-size buffers we pass them a
> store mem chain and say "do as much of this as you can and let me
> know..". Then, for example, COSS reads would become instantly more
> efficient.

I am still of the opinion that data should be passed around in
refcounted buffers within Squid, created at the data source.

I.e. network code creates the buffers for data received from network,
store I/O creates the buffers for data received from disk, hot object
cache gives the buffers of objects in the hot object cache.. (already
created). This also allows for store I/O implementations to buffer as
much data as it needs on writes without relying on the transit object
and without any copying of data.