Re: squid-2.5 and coss

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:31:47 +0200

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 11.32, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> Isn't block io restricted to 4/8K size anyway? Its a matter of VM
> of OS.

Depends..

raw disk block via character device is usually 512.

VM or OS may put additional page restrictions on filesystem or block
device I/O where page size is determined by CPU and OS architecture
(usually 4-16KB)

> By using raw device or O_DIRECT it becomes responsibility of app
> to ensure optimal disk access pattern.
> Now that ram has become cheap and huge disk systems fast, need for
> apps handling additional complexity is hard to justify.

Agreed in principle.

> COSS, being basically ring buffer, is very simple disk pattern and
> doesn't really benefit much from avoiding OS support, so, imo, it
> would work as well on plain FS as on any other approach. The only
> reason to go for raw disk or O_DIRECT would be if we want to keep
> ram usage to very minimum, ie for very lowend boxes.

And most OS:es can be tuned accordingly to not waste valuable memory
on filesystem buffers when memory is limited, and the OS algorithms
becomes smarter and smarter requiring less such tuning.