Re: Sending debug=section, level

From: Evgeny Kotsuba <evgen__k@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:50:25 +0400

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:37:06 +0200
  Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:
>On Thursday 28 August 2003 17.37, Evgeny Kotsuba wrote:
>
>> My squid is not uzing signals for IPC, instead it uses named pipes
>> so now I add option to command line parameters to send to working
>> squid (section, level) as in debug_options in config.
>>
>> May be this idea will be interesting to mainstream squid
>> developers.
>
>It is. The signal approach is getting really limiting. There is many
>actions we want to be able to perform on a running Squid, but nobody
>has been motivated enough to write a pipe control channel.
>
>If you have written one, please submit it for inclusion yesterday ;-)
>
>I have a old patch (from the 2.2.PRE1 timeframe) to implement
>selective acl reloading which is a immediate candidate ot use this
>named pipe. The original patch was rejected as it relied on cachemgr
>to trigger the action and we do not want active functions in
>cachemgr..

I have wrote already about it - my port of 2.5 to OS/2 is a bit
different from mainstream - I use OS/2 pipes/API as well as a number
of differences (C++ compiler, limited use of classes and threads,
color ANSI text out for non-daemon mode text out on errors/warnings,
sound beeps on error/warnings etc.)

SY,
Evgeny Kotsuba