Re: Disk IO - coss and ufs with common IO engines.

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 20:08:12 -0600

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003, Robert Collins wrote:

> The only step missing to be able to use the IO modules from anywhere is
> automatic registration to be 'synced' at shutdown, and 'callback()'
> checked on each io loop.

If you want to use the async io code rom anywhere, say, logfile writing,
you're _going_ to have to do write combining or your write queue is going
to quickly blow out to a stupid size. The store IO interface really assures
us there's only one outstanding write per object at a time, unless
something whacked has change which I haven't yet picked up on.

Funnily enough, if you check out src/disk.c, you'll find some stuff which
was done many, many, many moons ago to deal with async write combining.

Just 2c. Yes, it'd be nice to have true async writes for logfiles and such.
But you're going to have to do write combining.

Adrian