Re: The switch to C++

From: Evgeny Kotsuba <evgen__k@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 18:03:38 +0400

Hi,
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:45:49 +1000
  Robert Collins <robertc@squid-cache.org> wrote:
>> 5. Has the switch to C++ made the code more portable?
>
>No. Yes. It's really an orthogonal question. Some platforms don't
>have a
>good C compiler - OS/2 for example can't build the squid-cache.org
>code
>for 2.5, only a custom port. Others don't have a C++ compiler. So I
>think we've gained what we lost :]. That said, template instantiation
>on
>different platforms promises to be the biggest headache.

Some comment:
OS/2 has good compiler to compile squid code - gcc, problem is rather
with non-gcc compilers and non-unixway platforms.

The fundamental problems are: fork, the same handles for sockets,
pipes and files, and wrong supposition about fd_set structure as bit
array in comm_select. All those are unix-related. Versions of gcc for
 OS/2 and Windows emulate all those things and obviously this is less
effective way.

Moreover, I solved some problems via using C++ for 2.5 wich is not ++
at mainstream.

And ones more - about portability and STL and templates: look at
http://www.wxwindows.org/faqgen.htm#stl
Unfortunately main squid's developers didn't want to hear such
arguments, may be due to using only gcc compilers

PS: By the way, https://sourceforge.net/projects/squid/ states, that #
 Programming Language: C

SY,
Evgeny Kotsuba