Re: problem with ERR_ZERO_SIZE_OBJECT

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 07:26:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Chengdu Huang wrote:

> I have a problem with Squid's ERR_ZERO_SIZE_OBJECT error. I googled and
> looked into Squid's source code. Looks like only when remote server closes
> the connection without sending any data causes an ERR_ZERO_SIZE_OBJECT.

Yes.

Today Squid gives this error if the server closes the connection before
sending any response at all.

Some old versions of Squid also gave this error is the server did respond
with only HTTP headers without indicating there should be no body in the
response (Content-length: 0).

> My case is I have multiple Squid processes running on servers which are
> geographically distributed. Squid processes only communicate with each
> other. So my question is what could cause Squid close a connection to its
> "client" (which in my case is some other Squid process) without sending
> any data?

Usually this only happens if Squid crashes.

> BTW, I'm using Squid 2.3 but I also checked code of 2.5 and found no clue
> either.

Squid-2.3 may fall into the "some old versions" class above.. I am not
100% sure when this was corrected.