Re: Where to do Transfer-Encoding?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 01:13:57 +0100 (CET)

On 27 Oct 2003, Gonzalo Arana wrote:

> Is clientReplyContext::sendMoreData a good place to do actual encodings
> of data ([de]chunk/deflate)?

Depends..

dechunk is best done in http.cc while reading the reply, feeding it in
canonical form to the rest of Squid.

chunking is best done just prior to sending the content out to the client.

Note: both operations requires the headers to be modified to reflect the
content.

it can be debated what to do about gzip/compress/deflate encodings.
Semantically TE is always applied hop-by-hop, but if we receive the
content compressed we might want to forward it as is without having to
redo the compression.