Little questions

From: Gonzalo A. Arana <garana@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:57:35 -0300

Hi,

I am currently working on squid-3 support for Transfer-Encoding.
I need to estimate available cpu for compression, so that I can adjust
compression parameters.
The only function I found is src/stat.cc:statCPUUsage, which is declared
as static.

Should I:

1) make statCPUUsage public? (I guess this is the best).
If so, I would need to know cpu usage with better resolution than 1
minute. Is it possible (using squid API rather than system calls)?
2) try to check if compression is taking too much time in some other
way?
If so, how?
Like record the number of consecutive calls to comm_select that didn't
result in timeout, or some other ugly/unreliable hack like this?.

Thank you very much in advance,

Gonzalo Arana