RE: Little questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 23:10:25 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Gonzalo A. Arana wrote:

> Squid-3 does not have an API for running jobs asyncrhonously, right?

Not really no.

But if you limit yourself to platforms having threading support is is a
normal inter-thread message problem. To my knowledge all platforms have
threading support today.

> Another question:
> ICAP (consecuently running compression in a separate process) is suited
> for this kind of transformation?

ICAP would work for Content-Encoding but not for Transfer-Encoding, at
least not without some support from the core as it must maintain the
chunked stream state so message delimiting can be done correctly.

But the concept of using a separate process does work, as always. The
tricky part is efficient inter-process communication.