Programming Logic of Sub Domain Check on ACL

From: Corey Wallis <wallis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:21:02 +1000

Dear List,

I am currently working on a program here that is designed to assist me
in the generation of lists of domains for our ITS department. Put simply
there are certain labs within the university that can only access a
range of domains that we allow. I understand that this achieved by using
an ACL of all the domains that are approved for access.

I am in charge of compiling the list of domains and providing it to our
ITS dept. They have requested that I remove all sub domains from the
list before giving it to them. As one of the lists contains 1000's of
domains going through it by hand is out of the question.

I'm currently developing a program, in C#, to compile the list and
remove any duplicate domain names etc. The last piece of the puzzle is
the sub domain check. Could you please tell me how you implemented this
in the Squid code. Obviously code can't just be taken from one to the
other. But if I understand the logic behind the check then I am hopeful
that I can work it into my program.

With many thanks.

-Corey Wallis
Electronic Services Officer
The Library, University of Southern Queensland
http://www.usq.edu.au/library/