RE: wccpv2 and L2 redirection

From: John El-Rassi <johne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:59:18 -0500

Questions:

1. so would it be as simple as changing the <#define WCCP2_CAPABILTIY_INFO 8> value to provide the 00000002 value, to put the squid engine as a capable engine, and then squid should be able to read the redirected L2 (Layer 2) requests and service them? or am i totally off wack here?

2. when i run squid in wccp version 1 and cisco 3550 in wccp (with the gre tunnels) the cisco switch only routes traffic normally that is destined to the net. it however redirects traffic if the destination ip of the web request was any IP that the cisco is configured with. ( menaing if i type in the web browser the IP address of the cisco switch. the web managment interface of the router). when i do that i see the redirection counter on the cisco incrementing and the access.log on squid showing the request and query.
However if i do from the same client any other web request the redirect counters don't increment, the access.log obviously doesn't show anything, but the request does return webpages, which i am guessing is being routed normally instead of redirecting it.

___________________________________

        On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, John El-Rassi wrote:

> So i tried implementing wccpv2. to my dismay the cisco 3550 does not
> support wccpv2 with GRE packet redirection.

        No problem in theory. L2 redirection just makes life a whole lot easier as
        you don't need any GRE module, just normal interception rules to intercept
        port 80 traffic at the cache server. Only drawback is that the cache
        server must be locally attached to the same Ethernet segment as the
        router.

> it must use Layer 2 redirection. so when i run squid with the wccpv2 i
> get the following errors on the cisco 3550 (off course i change both
> configs on cisco and squid wccp2_router and ip wccp version 2)
>
> 17:19:43: WCCP-EVNT:wccp_update_assignment_status: enter
> 17:19:43: WCCP-EVNT:wccp_update_assignment_status: exit
> 17:19:43: WCCP-EVNT:S00: Here_I_Am packet from 142.46.145.4 w/bad fwd method 00000001, was offered 00000002
> 17:19:43: WCCP-EVNT:S00: Here_I_Am packet from 142.46.145.4 with incompatible capabilites
>
> Questions
>
> 1. i was wondering if there has been anywork done to support
> wccpv2+Layer 2 (instead of GRE)

        In general one can say that there has been very little work done on WCCPv2
        for Squid and the WCCPv2 patch is best described as WCCPv1 using the
        WCCPv2 protocol syntax

        If it is the case that the WCCP protocol specifies the encapsulation
        method the router should use when forwarding packets to the cache then the
        Squid WCCPv2 patch needs to be extended with a parameter for specifying
        this in the WCCP_HERE_I_AM packet. From a quick glance in the WCCPv2
        Internet-Draft this does seem to be the case.

        The above error message seems to confirm this.. if I am reading it
        correctly the error says that the WCCP_HERE_I_AM packet wanted GRE
        encapsulation.

> 2. what is causing the cisco (in wccpv1) to only redirect traffic when destined to itself.

        Please explain this a little further. I am not sure exacly what you refer
        to.