Re: Authentication pop-up with MS IE

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:19:27 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Serassio Guido wrote:

> "You may have to use this registry key if you connect by using a proxy
> server that is handling secure and non-secure requests on the same server.
> One example of this behavior is the SQUID Proxy Server software. Because
> Internet Explorer typically caches port information, it may not send a
> secure request over the correct port number when it tries to send secure
> and non-secure responses to the same server, but on different port numbers."

I wonder what they really meant to say..

> This could be related with the random pop-ups problem.

Maybe, maybe not. The above quote is very confusing on what it really is
they are talking about.

What do they refer to by secure/non-secure requests? Most people use this
distinction for http vs https, not authentication.

And what is that about different ports and not using the correct port?