Re: Authentication pop-up with MS IE

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 01:10:19 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Gerard Eviston wrote:

> Here's what I made of it: You've might need this registry entry if you have a
> PAC file that directs http and https requests through different proxy ports.
> Squid can support this split http/https config. Because IE takes shortcuts,
> whichever port was selected at the time of the first request will continue to
> be used. IE won't switch proxies correctly unless you change the registry
> entry.

Makes me wonder.. if they know the problem why don't they fix it rather
than document it and live with it?

> Same problem if your PAC tries to use different proxies depending on the url
> path. For this reason I've been using the registry entry for about 12 months,
> and I still get the popups for FTP icons.

Thought so..

I don't see the popups for FTP icons as unexpected at all. The
authentication requirements for the FTP icons is very different from that
of proxying as in most cases the proxy server is in the category of sites
the browser is configured to go direct to making Squid act as a web server
and not a proxy on the requests for the FTP icons.

So try changing the pac script to return that to reach the proxy server
the proxy must be used. Don't allow the browser to go direct on urls
pointing directly to the proxy server. If you do this you should not need
to exclude the FTP icons from authentication.