Re: refreshCheck delta

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:36:12 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, David Nicklay wrote:

> In refreshIsCachable in refresh.cc, you have this line:
> int reason = refreshCheck(entry, NULL, ESI ? 0 : 60);
>
> I read the comment and cannot fathom why the object cannot be refreshed.
> Even if it can't, it seems like we should be able to override this
> without modifying the source code and set the delta to 0.

In reverse proxy setups tuning this may make sense, but usually it is
better to address the second part of the equation and make the objects
refreshable. A patch adding a config directive for this constant is
accepted.

Objects are considered refreshable if there is a Last-Modified-Since
timestamp allowing Squid to use If-Modified-Since. Once ETag is supported
having a ETag also qualifies as being refreshable via If-None-Match but
this has not yet been done in Squid-3 (only exists as a proof of concept
patch for 2.5).