Re: squid modular support

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:35:23 +1100

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 02:37, David Nicklay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been thinking about adding modular support to squid via dynamic
> modules that could be loaded at run-time that could do the following:

I'm ambivalent about this. We already have proprietary patches floating
around that we cannot support, which have somewhat arguable status under
the GPL. runtime loaded module support is even harder to get right. (And
until the parties doing these add-ons show at least /some/ inclination
to participate in the community, I'm not at all interested in making
their life easier).

> - content filtering (seems to get requested a lot on this list, might be
> nice to not keep patching the main code)

Not needed in 3.0. There is a framework already, the patches are trivial
to add components to it.

> - request structure cleanups (after the header parsing stage)

Like? I can't imagine the use case here.

> - timed callbacks (there is support for calling functions at time
> intervals already, it might be nice to be able to do this for other
> things as well)

Thats a trivial patch to main to register the init and cleanup functions
to use this. Or simply as part of whatever other code you need.

> - read/write access to various internal structures.

Ouch, thats better done via the internal API's which already exist.

> It seems like some of this would be very easy for me to add, and it
> could be very useful for doing a lot of the things which squid cannot
> support right now. What do you guys think?

Without at least a couple of use cases, I'm stoutly ambivalent. Whatever
happens, I'm not in favour of such support if it allows non GPL
components to use it.

Rob