Re: Squid Development

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:38:03 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Muthukumar wrote:

> I am having the wish to participate in the squid developments.I have
> gone through the squid development and projects.Being in beginner stage,
> I may not take the decision to work for the paricular development. I
> need the guidance to do the best for the Squid Development.

You are more than welcome to help with the Squid developments! There is
quite many ongoing projects which could use a helping hand.

When looking over the projects, did you find any project which looks more
interesing to you? If so then this is probably a good place to start.

You mentioned earlier the IPv6 project and this is a good example of a
project in acute need of help. Currently to our knowledge there is no
active developers working on the IPv6 project. Unfortunately the IPv6
project has bitrotted somewhat due to lack of developers and maybe is not
the best project to start with, but it is possible.

Alternatively if you prefer to start with smaller tasks you can help me by
looking into forward-porting several Squid-2.5 patches to Squid-3.0. I
have a quite large backlog of patches which has been applied to Squid-2.5
but which has not yet been ported and applied to Squid-3.0. A list of
these can be found in our bug database as assigned to me with a target
milestone of 3.0
<url:http://www.squid-cache.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?target_milestone=3.0&bug_status=ASSIGNEDD&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=hno%40squid-cache.org>

This and looking into other interesting Squid-3.0 bug reports is probably
what the Squid project needs very most help with at the moment as we are
trying to get Squid-3.0 stable and ready for release.

If you have any questions or thoughts don't be afaraid to post here. We
will try to help you the best we can.

> As a initiation,I have sent a patch for the refresh_pattern to use them
> as fractional value in the default configuration of minutes.

We have seen this patch and the similar patch from Taneli Leppä but have
not yet considered which of the two patches is most suitable. Both patches
looks good and are quite clean and straigh-forward and there is not much
to comment on other than taste in which approach of the two patches is
best.