Re: next version of content-encoding / gzip design doc

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:00:16 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Jon Kay wrote:

> If Accept-Encoding field is present in client request
>
> If server or cache response contains Content-Encoding field with
> encodings that are a subset of what the client accepts

This must be relaxed to just "contains a Content-Encoding field", ignoring
if it is acceptable by the client. If not you run into ugly corner cases
if the server ignores what the client accepts.

The rest is obvious, but I claim that all this can be done just fine
without the "duplicate list" concept, and in a way which fits more
naturally in the Squid cache design including expiration of old objects
etc..