Re: Patch: A few small features for Squid 2.5

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 11:28:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Karsten Sperling wrote:

> While using Squid as an httpd-accelerator and general front-end server
> for SSL handling and distributing requests, I added a few small features
> that I needed. I am sending this patch to the list in case anybody else
> is interested in these humble improvements.
>
> The added options are:
> - peer option 'httpd' sends normal HTTP requests to that peer instead of
> proxy requests.

This already exists in Squid-3 as the "originserver" option.

> - peer option 'immortal' prevents the peer from ever being marked dead.

Interesting.

Any chance you could port this patch to Squid-3?

> - global option 'forward_retries' allows the previously hardcoded number
> of retries (10) to be changed.

Please elaborate on the need for this change, taking the timeout
parameters in consideration

    forward_timeout
    connect_timeout
    cache_peer timeout= option

> - global option 'httpd_accel_with_icp' turns on ICP without turning on
> full proxy mode.

Actually you need the "httpd_accel_with_proxy on" option in order to
comply with the HTTP standards. This option changes very little of Squid
and provided you set up your access controls correctly there is no issue
in enabling this. If you have already "httpd_accel_uses_host_header" then
you already need those access controls and there is no additional risk of
enabling httpd_accel_with_proxy.

In any event, how Squid acts as an accelerator is pretty much redone in
Squid-3, where also this "automatic off" of ICP was removed (not easy to
detect), and the "httpd_accel_with_proxy" was also removed as it is no
longer relevant.