Re: Some breakage with squid3 CVS

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:43:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> I'll be re-evaluating the latest Redhat SRPM soon and try sort out more
> patches soon - for now I'm having some grief with squid-3.

Great! (the first part..)

> Can I ask you (kindly) please take a look at the following bugs in bugzilla
> against squid-3 - two of which I think might be easy to fix...the last bug
> is more serious. It's preventing current CVS snapshots from even working
> for me :(
>
> * bugzilla 957 - I think this requires a change to the auto* stuff
> (SQUID_CXXFLAGS) and a re-bootstrap (gcc-3.4 specific). It basically
> removes a -W(arning) flag so I doubt it's a big deal to remove.

Pathes welcome. Should be trivial.

> * bugzilla 958 - compile error, caused by some sort of incompatibility in
> an include file - I imagine minor to fix (gcc-3.4 specific)

Patches welcome.

> * bugzilla 860 - redirector access killing squid - most serious, backtrace
> in bugzilla. Squid-3 completely borked and will not function for me at all
> without this being fixed.

I will back out the patch for now.

> Unrelated to this, attached is a patch for you to commit to squid-3 CVS for
> the latest 2.5 patch for the NTLM authentication. Basically just a rediff
> of the 2.5 patch.

Thanks.

> Squid-3 development seems to have stalled, it's 8 months since the latest
> pre release :( Where has everyone gone?

I think the main problem is that none of us have active customers
demanding Squid-3.0.. but both Robert and Adrian seem to be working on
Squid-3 when there is time.

I am trying to shift some focus to allocate time for Squid-3 bug
maintenance, but do require help from others to port and test patches for
this to become a reality. Squid-3.0.STABLE still seems rather far away,
but probably realistic within the year.

Why there has not been yet another PRE release is probably because there
still is several unresolved issues, and a lot of work still remains in
porting Squid-2.5 patches to Squid-3.