Vary implementation

From: Mati <ms189442@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 21:11:27 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

As we proceed with our ETag/Vary project we have come up with a project
of adding ETags to Vary support in squid3.

The project can be found at:
http://rainbow.mimuw.edu.pl/~ms189442/mmsquid/mmsquid.php?menu[0]=presentations&menu[1]=vary&menu[2]=project20040426

We encourage you to look at it and share any opinions with us.

This is how we would implement it if we were to do it from scratch.

However, we know that these features are included in squid 2.5's etag patch.

The thing is that we have failed to understand the way the patch deals
with the mentioned features.

We would be really grateful if you could explain it to us.
Especially the following scenario:

A client requests for a variant that isn't cached.
Squid forwards the request with If-None-Match containing etags of all
cached variants.
Suppose the server responds with 304 Not Modified and one of cached etags...

How the patch decides which store entry to pass to the client?

Ok, so to sum up:
We are ready to implement full Vary/ETag support,
but we're not sure if we have thought of all the possibilities, flows,
situations, etc.
And if the patch deals with everything better than our project,
we will employ the patch's idea.
So, we are asking for an advice.

Regards,
Mati.