Re: Limiting bandwidth rates on certain files

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 01:51:45 -0500

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Sat, 1 May 2004, Xavier Baez wrote:
>

>>My question is this. If I use Squid as an http accelerator, could I
>>configure it so that it will limit transfer rates of certain files?
>

> Delay pools is not applicable to accelerator setups due to their design of
> limiting how fast Squid reads data from the server, not how fast Squid
> deliers data to clients.
>
> For your situation another variant of shaping is needed, and some C coding
> is required to have this implemented in Squid.

There is a branch of this for 3.0. Robert did the work about 9 months
ago. It could probably be brought up to date without too much pain, if
someone takes the time to do it. I think it is still in Roberts
pseudo-private arch repository. (Note: I don't plan to work on it, or
spend any time/money on it at the moment and I'm pretty sure Robert
doesn't either, but if anyone wants to pick up the project, I'll make
sure you get the last revision I have.)