Re: no keepalives

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:47:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Brian Akins wrote:

> I found something strange:
>
> If I send this request:
> GET /index.html HTTP/1.1
> Host: www.cnn.com
>
> I get an HTTP/1.0 response with "Connection: close" and the connection
> is closed.

Yes. This is intentional as the client did not signal that it understands
HTTP/1.0 persistent connections. HTTP/1.0 keep-alive was never defined in
any RFC and a HTTP/1.1 client does not need to know about HTTP/1.0
keep-alive, and I judged that it is not safe to signal HTTP/1.0 keep-alive
only because the request was HTTP/1.1.

If you do not agree with this then look for WHEN_SQUID_IS_HTTP1_1 in the
sources, or simply define it when you build your Squid.

> If I do:
> GET /index.html HTTP/1.0
> Host: www.cnn.com
> Connection: Keep-Alive
>
> I do indeed get "Connection: Keep-Alive" and it stays open.

As is expected from a HTTP/1.0 style Connection: Keep-Alive indication...
The request protocol version indication is irrelevant until Squid is
HTTP/1.1.