Re: "Runtime" logging into access.log. How?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 01:04:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Michal Matusiak wrote:

> i suspect the "runtime" analysis of access.log is being done to stop the
> downloading file by client

I think so yes, or at least attempting to.

It may be worth mentioning that the download can not be blocked by Squid
once it is started. There is no access controls after the reply has been
started to be forwarded to the client.

> i think there is a better idea to solve this:
> this should be done be squid internally because it's the best place to
> know how much was sent and to stop sending at "any" moment
> also, we could examine "content-length" for this purpose before sending
> something to the client

Indeed, and this has been discussed numerous times. There never seems to
be anyone wanting this bandly enough to have it implemented however..

Just search for quota in the archives.. both squid-users and squid-dev.

> what do you think about that?

Initially I was opposing adding quota support to Squid, but nowdays I am
more neutral it a reasonable stable storage of quota information can be
found.

> adding this to squid3 have to wait some time, because we (me&mateusz)
> are finishing our vary-etag support and i think we will have to
> reorganize our code in the near future...

I saw some commits in a squid3 varyetag branch today. This is veryt good
news! We desperatly need more people working with squid3.

It would however be nice if you had yourself subscribed to the sourceforge
squid-cvs list. If not each commit message gets sent for moderation..