superfluous DNS lookups

From: Andrew Ivins <aivins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:00:56 +0800

Hi Squid developers,

I'm not a subscriber to this list but I have a development related
question which is probably best posted here.

With interception proxying, is the DNS lookup that is performed by Squid
necessary? Would it not be more efficient, possibly even more reliable,
to use the destination IP address in the original intercepted request?

Our concern involves some scenarios around our network where it is
possible for the client and the cache to resolve the host part
differently enough for it to not work as intended. Local DNS views, for
example.

We are thinking of trying to make this change ourselves as we are
committed to interception caching. Just curious as to what the general
opinion among the developers would be about such a 'feature'. Are there
any reasons why this would be a bad idea or particularly difficult?

Thanks,

Andrew Ivins
System Adminstrator
Swiftel Communications