Re: superfluous DNS lookups

From: Andrew Ivins <aivins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:02:05 +0800

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 15:48, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> By discarding the original destination IP address caching is made more
> effective by being able to cache on the requested hostname. If using the
> original destination IP address then caching needs to be done using the
> requested hostname + IP address due to security implications of trusting
> the client provided destination IP.

Thanks Henrik, that is a very good point. We hadn't considered that at
all.

Another scenario we are seeing is when multiple A records are returned
from a lookup and the client and squid select different records from the
set. Perhaps in this scenario a good compromise would be to compare the
set with the original destination IP and prefer a match over the usual
selection method.

> I have nothing against adding an option to enable this mode of operation,
> but I do not think it should be the default.

If we end up getting it working cleanly for our purposes then we ought
to be able to add a config option in for it and submit it as a patch.

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Regards,

Andrew Ivins
System Adminstrator