Re: WCCP2

From: Paul P Komkoff Jr <i@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:14:48 +0400

Replying to ilopez@jalisco.gob.mx:
> Hi I would like to know if I can use wccp2 protocol between squid and my
> cisco routers.

1. You can use wccp2 patch, floating somewhere on the internet. I used
it, it is stable, but it supports only "one router - one cache"
configuration, and it is not easy to change this.

2. You can leave squid unpatched and use my python companion wccpd,
available via svn at http://anna.sgu.ru/svn/wccpd/ with homepage at
http://stingr.net/software/wccpd/ . It can work with multiple routers
and multiple caches. It needs to be launched separately from squid,
and written in python. Despite its age, it is very stable, at least
version 0.1 (http://anna.sgu.ru/svn/wccpd/wccpd/tags/ver-0.1/) works
well already for almost a week without any problems in my setup.

In both cases you will need to do usual wccp2 setup steps, e.g
patching kernel to allow decapsulation of wccp2 packets (I have one
sample at http://stingr.net/l/linux-wccp-gre.patch) and set up
NAT.

Enjoy.

--
Paul P 'Stingray' Komkoff Jr // http://stingr.net/key <- my pgp key
 This message represents the official view of the voices in my head