Re: Question on domain controller load balancing

From: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:27:27 +1000

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 02:52, Yimin Chen wrote:
> At 08:47 AM 9/22/2004 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> >On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Yimin Chen wrote:
> >
> >>The password server is specified in the Samba configuration files
> >>statically, does Squid changes the configuration file in the run time to
> >>make winbindd to use different domain controllers each time to load balance?
> >
> >See the Samba instructions on how to join a NT Domain or ADS tree. Once
> >properly joined this is no longer the case.
>
> I checked the Samba instructions, but didn't find anything specific on load
> balancing, just one paragraph mentioning that Samba will contact the
> password server in the order specified, so you can change the order to load
> balancing.

That is correct. We only talk to one server at a time.

> Did you mean that Squid doesn't do any load balancing, and it is all
> handled by ntlm_auth tool? In that case, it would be fail-over, instead of
> load balancing, right?

Yes, it's fail over. Discussions on improving this to load-balancing
are welcome on the samba-technical list however, as I know Volker keeps
wanting to tempt me back into Samba3 development with some of the very
interesting things he comes up with.

Andrew Bartlett