Re: Status on NTLM in Squid3?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:17:41 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Can you give me details of the exact protocol you intend to use? Inside
> ntlm_auth it should be trivial, I just keep separate state machines in a
> lookup tree.

It just adds a number infront of the request identifying the "session".
What comes after the number is exactly the same as today.

squid (2 pending negotiate requests)

0 YR base64-blob
1 YR base64-blob

helper (both responded quickly with challenges)

0 TT base64-blob
1 TT base64 blob

squid (client responded in second session)

1 KK base64-blob

helper (authentication successful)

1 AF username

squid (session number 1 reused for the next session, and client
responded in the first session)

1 YR base64-blob
0 KK base64-blob

helper (new challenge generated in session number 1 and shortly after that
the authentication was verified successfully in the first session)

1 TT base64-blo
0 AF username

The above illustrates

   2 successful authentications, one per session number
   1 one pending challenge in session number 1
   1 reordered reply in the last reply sequence where the challenge is sent
before authentication reply even if queried in the opposite order by Squid

What has not been determined is if this should be extended with an
additional call for "session terminated", or if it should simply rely on
the YR command to imply a new session.

If desired it can be relied upon the session numbers being integers in the
range 0 to N-1 where N is the configured concurrency level for the helper.