Tracking client connections

From: Jan Kratochvil <rcpt-squid-dev.AT.squid-cache.org@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:48:47 +0200

Hi,

attached patch changes "redirector" lines
        http://g.idnes.cz/js/ad/vylohy.js 127.0.0.1/localhost - GET
->
        http://g.idnes.cz/js/ad/vylohy.js 127.0.0.1:42423/localhost - GET

to be able to track the specific client requests. Just an IP address is
sometimes not enough in the current world of "PnP" clients where the servers
adapt to the fixed IP configuration of the client (as the client is not
expected to be able to reconfigure her host). In such world there may exist
multiple clients with the same IP on multiple VLANs (identified by VIP) and
unique client identification can be done just be the client's ARP.

Attached "redirector-track-arp_vid.pmfrag" also shows how to get the client's
ARP + VID (VLAN ID - the number 5 in the case of Linux kernel "eth1.5" VLAN).

I am not going to start Squid development; I would like to discuss if this
trivia patch can get somehow imported as it breaks the compatibility with the
currently existing "redirector" implementations.

Regards,
Lace