Re: Hot memory cache

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:52:27 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> AFAIK, the memory cache in Squid 2.5 keeps objects fetched from the
> network and in-transit objects. The memory cache does not keep objects
> fetched from disk.

Correct.

> In-transit objects purge cached memory objects if there is not enough
> space and may even exceed the configured memory cache size (the
> cache_mem directive).

Correct.

> Only objects under certain configurable size can
> be kept in the memory cache. Please correct me if any of the above is
> wrong.

All are correct. At least for 2.5 and earlier.

> Is the above still true in Squid 3? Has any functionality related to the
> memory cache changed?

I assume it is still the case, but haven't kept a very close eye on these
matters yet.

It has been discussed a lot to separate the hot object cache from
in-transit data, and it is certainly the correct thing to do. I do not
think this has yet been done, but I may be wrong.

It may also be worth noticing that the "Cache Mem" in at least 2.5 and
earlier is very inefficiently structured and scales very bad with object
size.