Re: Introduction

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:42:31 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Andrew Rucker Jones wrote:

> I'm not a Squid developer, and i don't want to burst Your bubble, but i
> looked at what Your filter can do; Squid can already block MIME types,
> and Privoxy (www.privoxy.org) can do most if not all of the rest.
> Additionally, i don't want to speak for the Squid developers, but my
> impression is that the future direction for filtering in Squid tends to
> be ICAP-based.

The infrastructure of Squid-3 should be a lot more suitable to this type
of content alteration than the earlier Squid-2.x and earlier code bases
was.

In Squid-2 and earlier this type of filtering either had to be too limited
due to content-length restrictions or to intrusive to be considered.

ICAP is certainly a must have in the future, but this does not rule out
other types of content processing within Squid itself.