Re: squid-2.5.STABLE5 WCCPv2 Layer2 redirect

From: Paul P Komkoff Jr <i@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:07:38 +0300

Replying to Mark Foster:
> This is a patch to enable WCCPv2 Layer2 redirection on squid. The patch was
> made for 2.5.STABLE5 but 'patch' offsets the hunks and it does apply
> cleanly to 2.5.STABLE7 which we have then successfully built and run.
>
> This patch is based on a combination of the other wccpv2 patches that
> already exist, particularly (IIRC) the visolve-WCCPv2 patch that is
> referenced at squid.org. The tricky bits like actually making the code
> changes, extensions and getting it to work for us are the work of James
> Goodlet.

Though this code should work, it violates wccp spec as it described in
draft-wilson-wrec-wccp-v2-00.txt. For example, it sends capability IEs
before router advertises them.

Moreover, it doesn't support configurations with multiple routers in
service group. But I'm very amazed by work done to turn original
visolve wccp2 patch in at least this - capable to work with multiple
caches in service group :)

Some time ago I've started pywccpd to overcome limitations in original
patch and to be able to use wccp redirection with squid 3.
Unfartunately, project was stalled, mainly because I've reached
"works-for-me" state, and because of lack of L2-capable routers.

Can you please borrow some ideas from it?
http://anna.sgu.ru/svn/wccpd/wccpd/trunk/

Enjoy.

--
Paul P 'Stingray' Komkoff Jr // http://stingr.net/key <- my pgp key
 This message represents the official view of the voices in my head