Re: Squid 3 Windows native port: update on current status

From: Henrik Nordstrom <>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 01:21:36 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Serassio Guido wrote:

> - Full build is OK, on both MinGW and MS Visual Studio 2005 beta 1 (with some
> minor patches), so I'm ready to dropping out the old MS Visual Studio 6
> support.

> - There are still some critical problem related to FDs handling in the
> Robert's old refactored IPC code
> ( that is already
> included in the Windows port

Anything we can do to help understanding the problem or how to solve it?

> - I'm working on a new WinAIO DISKIO engine, it builds fine, but I cannot
> test and debug it for the IPC problems. After the WinAIO development, I will
> start with a second DISKIO engine: WinDiskThreads.

What I/O model is the WinAIO DISKIO engine using?

I would think the optimal model on Windows is overlapped I/O with
completetion ports rather than threads? But as with POSIX AIO the weak
link seems to be missing support for async open/close calls..

My gut feeling is that optimal performance on Windows should be seen from

   - A not too large pool of threads used for CreateFile / CloseHandle

   - All actual I/O done using overlapped I/O with results signalled via
a completetion port by and to the main thread.